Monday, June 2, 2008

Introduction

Oh! ABS-CBN will be doing a remake of "My Girl"? And Kim Chiu was chosen as Jasmine*. I wondered, "What if GMA will do a remake of "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon"? Will they choose ME as Sam Soon?" I'm serious. I pictured myself as the Pinay Kim Sam Soon. The following day, after I came back from fantasyland, I received a text message from a friend. In context it says: Hey friend, there will be a remake of "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" and Regine Velasquez was chosen as Sam Soon. Oh shoot! Nasulot yung project ko!


The first thing that came to my mind after I've read that message was how wonderful "Maybe It's You" (the theme song) would be if Regine Velasquez will sing it... (and I was right, am I not?)

But later on, it sunk in. WHAT? A remake of MY "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon"? NOOOOOO!!!! NOOO WAAAYYY!!!! Not my precious drama!!!

"My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" has a very special place in my heart. For me, it's the best and most sincere story I've encountered. Poignant...powerful... bittersweet... real. I won't go into details anymore since it may take up all the spaces I have for the entire blog. But allow me to say that I was not into drama series at all (whether Korean or local). And I am not easily pleased with stories (books, movies, televisions). But when I first watched it (all 16 hours in one sitting), I fell in love with both the story and Kim Sam Soon herself without me realizing it. Probably just like how the entire Korea (and most members of the K-drama community) fell in love with their Samsoonie since 2005. Yes, it is not perfect - nothing is. But it's way more than good enough for me that I consider it - simply perfect.

Knowing how "good" Philippine drama series are (note: I am being sarcastic), I was really apprehensive. I don't want them 'touching' MNIKSS. They will just ruin my perfect drama. It's not that I'm being unpatriotic or something to that effect. I'm just being sentimental, I guess.

Plus the fact that I can't see any other actress as Kim Sam Soon aside from Kim Sun Ah. I bet those who have seen this drama will agree. She was perfect for the role. And her excellent and sincere performance was one of the major reasons why MNIKSS was well-loved by many.

I was even frustrated with MBC and my adored writer Kim Do Wo for deciding to sell the rights of this drama. Isn't MNIKSS important and special to them as it is to me?

Okay. Eventually I calmed down. Well, first everything was already planned and announced, I don't think I can do anything about it anymore. And it's been 3 years since MNIKSS aired in Korea. It was shown (and is still being shown) on different countries worldwide. I should be glad that MBC and Kim Do Wo is still earning a lump sum from this drama even after 3 years. It's also an adaptation and not a replacement. Who said they are going to replace Kim Sun Ah as Kim Sam Soon? No one can do that. And no matter what happen, she will still be the original Sam Soon. And I always have my DVD that I can watch anytime I want to re-live Kim-Sam-Soon-moments. And quoting my Korean friend: "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

As a BIG MNIKSS fan, I'm just so proud that GMA chose this drama to be their first koreanovela adaptation. I'm happy that Filipinos still remembers the feisty, loud-mouth, yet cute and lovable Kim Sam Soon. And they will be able to continue remembering her through this drama. As for me, I will take this as a different viewing experience of the story that touched my heart in a very special way.

I think I just have to trust both GMA and Regine Velasquez.

I'll see you guys on JUNE 30th!

*I barely watch television and I just accidentally came across the news about "My Girl". I have no clue that GMA already announced their plans of doing a remake of "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" earlier.

No comments: